- In England and Wales wild camping is not legal without the landowner's permission. In Scotland, follow the code issued by the Mountaineering Council for Scotland.
- Look for a sheltered site, and try to find a flat, stoneless spot.
- Don't camp in a hollow, or too close to a swollen river and make sure you face your tent away from the prevailing wind.
- Organise the inside of the tent for a quick exit in case of emergencies.
- Don't cook inside the tent.
- Leave wet clothes to dry in the tent porch.
- Site your 'toilet' at least 100 metres away from water.
- Always leave the campsite as you found it.
Friday, 30 March 2012
The Walker's Companion: The Ramblers Association
8 Tips For Wild Country Camping (p.85)